Kent BFI Film Academy 2023-24
Deadline for applications: 10am, Monday 2nd October 2023
Are you 16-19? Passionate about film? Want a career in the film industry? If so, the Kent BFI Film Academy is for you
The British Film Institute (BFI) and Screen South have come together once again to create a life changing opportunity and are looking for 20 young people with a passion for filmmaking and great ideas for short films to take part in the Kent BFI Film Academy.
- Meet high end film professionals, such as Directors, Writers & Producers.
- Link in with organisations such as BAFTA and the BFI.
- Develop your filmmaking skills by making a short film with the support of industry professionals.
- Opportunity to apply for National Residential Academies in Documentary, Animation, Visual Effects & BAFTA mentoring, which are only available to BFI Alumni, at the National Film School
The Academy programme will take place between October 2023 – January 2024 and will be split between online sessions and in person sessions in Folkestone. Young people only have a small admin fee of £25 and bursaries for this fee and any travel costs/childcare are available.
Who can apply?
- Applicants must be aged 16-19 years old on the 14th October 2023
- Applicants must live in Kent and are a UK resident.
- Applicants must not currently be enrolled at university or at university when the course starts.
- Applicants must not have previously taken part on a BFI Academy course.
Past BFI Film Academies
Watch a Behind the Scenes film about the BFI Film Academy to find out how it all comes together. From Week 1 – pitching ideas, all the way through to the shoot and onto the premiere screening at the Folkestone Quarterhouse.
Along the way the students learn and take part in workshops from high end industry proffesionals as well as completing a silver or bronze arts award.